The Chair of South Asian Studies at the University of Warsaw, Poland, in collaboration with the South Asia Institute at Heidelberg University, Germany, and the Institute of Asian Studies at Charles University, Prague, invites you to an intensive language workshop in the Bengali language.
We offer you two intensive courses in spoken Bengali. Our experienced teachers from Prague, Heidelberg, and Warsaw will share their knowledge with you and help you to learn, speak and understand Bengali better.
- In the introductory course, participants will develop speaking, reading, listening, and writing skills and acquire a basic vocabulary of Bengali.
- The advanced course aims to develop a deeper understanding of grammar, communicative skills, and the ability to understand literary texts.
Participants are asked to acquire a basic knowledge of the Bengali script before the course. For this purpose, we recommend: 1. Teach Yourself Bengali by William Radice, published By Teach Yourself Books; 2. Bengali. A Comprehensive Grammar, by Hanne-Ruth Thompson, Routledge Comprehensive Grammars.
13 days, 36 classes, 90 min each
Classes are scheduled to be held Mondays to Fridays from 9.30 am to 3.30 pm (3 classes/day) and Saturdays from 9.30 am to 1 pm (2 classes). Sundays are free! There will be a lot of opportunities to practice the script and to clarify any doubts and questions regarding the language and grammatical rules.
- movie evenings
- lectures on the Bengali language and culture
- meetings with native speakers
- sightseeing Warsaw
- cooking classes – of course Bengali cuisine 🙂
Deadline for registration: June 1, 2023
Contact: Dr. Michał Panasiuk, University of Warsaw
After the end of the registration you will be given all the payment related data.
Please send us a short CV and tell us why you would like to participate. Please also let us know if you need a dorm room, and we will help you to find and book affordable accommodation in Warsaw.